Why I Moved to Edublogs

Here I am comfortably housed in my new home at Edublogs and I thought that my first post here would be to explain the reasons for my move.

• No ‘Next Blog’ – This has always been an issue in Blogger. If anyone clicks on Next Blog at the top of your blog, they could end up somewhere less than desirable within a couple of clicks. Edublogs is designed for education and there is no danger or possibility of this happening and no ‘Next Blog!’
  • Attractive templates –ย  Edublogs is built on WordPress technology and has a large number of templates (over 50) to choose from for your blog. It also allows you to make certain modifications to themes such as changing the image header. It was great to be given the exact dimensions of this header as well so I didn’t have to guess the desired size the way I did in Blogger.
  • Great technical support – I have already posted a couple of questions to the forum and have had lightning fast replies. There is also a great blog that shows you how to do almost anything that you would need.
  • Ability to embed all types of code – this was the one that stopped me from making this change earlier. Edublogs did not let you embed certain types of code such as iFrame used by a lot of web 2.0 tools due to security worries. They have recently changed this policy and I can now embed almost anything that I want to. I need to be able to do this on a blog that writes about Web 2.0 technologies.
  • Designed for teachers – this is a blog tool specifically designed for teachers and the tools and the help are specifically molded to this purpose.
  • Ease of moving – I was able to migrate all of my blog posts from Blogger with a few clicks. It was a very simple process to bring my content with me.

There are a few drawbacks to using Edublogs that I feel I should point out as well if you are considering the move:

• You are unable to edit the html of the templates which means that you are unable to put code from Google Analytics or other monitoring services into your template. UPDATE: Thanks to people who left comments and pointed out that you can use a built-in plugin to add Google Analytics. I still would like to be able to use other tools from sites such as MyBlogLog which do need access to the code so I’ll look forward to the addition of this feature to Edublogs.
  • Edublogs is seldom listed as a blogger platform when trying to set up links between your blog and other web 2.0 services. I am still trying to set up a link to my Google Docs account – I’ll let you know how that goes (and how to do it if I manage it ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Otherwise, I am very happy with my new home. The back end of the blog looks a little different to Blogger but doesn’t take too long to get the hang of. Instead of the ‘Layout’ tab in Blogger, you go to ‘Presentation’ in Edublogs. Posts are handled in two different tabs called ‘Write’ and ‘Manage’ rather than being under the one ‘Posts’ in Blogger. Basically, there are no major issues and I’d recommend the change.

10 thoughts on “Why I Moved to Edublogs

1. I also moved from blogger to edublogs. I agree with all of your reasons. I also like the fact that some templates allow you to add pages. I moved all of my content from my wiki (which was a portal of teacher and student web resources for the classroom) to my blog so everything is all in one place. Welcome to edublogs.

2. Welcome on board, it’s great to have you and thanks for teh feedback.

Eventually we’ll have the facility to allow you to edit your CSS… in teh meantime you can insert Alanlytics code using the Analytics plugin in ‘Plugins’ ๐Ÿ™‚

And we’re trying to get listed as a major blogging platform ๐Ÿ˜‰ If in doubt try the WordPress options.

Cheers, James

3. Pingback: incorporated subversion » Blog Archive » Why I moved to Edublogs

4. Welcome to Edublogs.

I tried to embed Ustream heaps of times and couldn’t get it to work; so something must have changed for it work now.

There are tricks to embedding some of the code. Some of it can be very temperamental. e.g. voicethreads completely write your post save it to keep editing, preview it to make sure it reads okay and then as the final step add the code into the code tab area then press Publish (and nothing else). If you go back and re-edit it makes your post go really funny. The iFrame for the My Maps I embedded was even more sensitive — so last step insert and press save.

Unless things have changed you can add Google Analytics to your blog it is located under plugins. Sorry Google Documents is a bit of a problem but you can set up to post from Flickr :).

Don’t forget that there is lots of information for using Edublogs on the Getting Started with Edublogs page of the Edublogger.

5. My blog is at Blogger and one of the first tricks I learned was how to hide that Next Blog link at the top. I’ll be curious to see how you like Edublogs as time goes on. The layout looks nice and clean. It’s also good to know that the import of Blogger blogs was so painless for you, in case I ever switch myself.
    Ann

6. Good on ya Suzie. I am sure you will soon have it all sussed and we will be coming to you for all those things we can’t figure out.
    Cheers
    Barbara

7. I actually miss the Next Blog link. Although I understand the dislike for it, I think it’s a great way to find new blogs and new information.

The problem with Blogger’s take on it though is they seem to not follow up on splog reports. James responds fairly quickly to splog reports.

8. Hey Suzie

Thanks for sharing this. I think I will try exporting my class blog across to edublogs. I didn’t realise you can export ALL your existing posts! That’s fantastic!!